Flat Lidded Hamper - Light Leather Trim
Handmade with love, these Senegalese baskets store anything and everything. Some of our favorite uses are for laundry, toys, linens, plants, or even kitchen supplies and garden gear! This beautiful woven basket provides critical fair trade income for women who face difficulty finding individuals to purchase their baskets locally. The artisans use traditional coil-style weaving techniques that have been passed down for generations.
- size: approximately 16" diameter x 22" tall (including the lid)
- hand-woven with plastic strips and local millet grass
- handles allow for easy portability
- lidded top
- wipe clean
- please note: the leather will have slight imperfections
- will have slight variations in design and size as this is a one-of-a-kind handmade product
- no two will be exactly alike, adding to the charming nature of handcrafted goods
- shop all of our woven storage baskets
Meet the Artisans
Our baskets and hampers are handmade by the loving hands of global village artisans. These Senegalese baskets are made with age-old weaving techniques passed down from generation to generation. It takes the women two days to finish a single large hamper. They work from home, usually weaving under mango trees in the late afternoon and evening.
Once the basket is finished the men in the village help with transportation and packing. It then travels 6,347 miles to us where it's packaged up and sent off to its new home. The entire process allows our artisans to extend their market from local to global, allowing them the opportunity for independence and empowerment. Thank you for supporting their work and allowing their traditions to be passed down through families and into the global marketplace. Together we are helping individuals in one of the world's least developed countries provide for their families with healthy working conditions and a path to economic independence.